Bluehost Review - Is This is The Best Web Hosting Service in 2021?
One of the oldest web hosts, starting in 1996, Bluehost has become the biggest brand when it comes to WordPress hosting. They are an official recommended "WordPress" hosting provider. With Bluehost, you do not have to worry about your website slowing down, even if there is a lot of traffic. 24/7 expert support is always available to help when you need it, via phone, email, or live chat. They are ranked #1 in small business web hosting. In addition, they are offering WPBeginner users a special 63% discount, a free domain, free SSL, and a free website builder with templates.
- Bluehost Review
- Bluehost Review Summary
- Pros and Cons of Bluehost
- Bluehost Performance Tests
- Bluehost Speed Test Results
- Bluehost Server Response Time
- Bluehost Hosting Plans and Features
- Bluehost Customer Support and Service
- Conclusion: Is Bluehost the Right Choice for You?
- FAQs About Bluehost hosting
Bluehost is one of the largest web hosting companies in the world and is an official hosting provider recommended by WordPress. Bluehost offers a wide range of hosting plans for beginners and medium and large businesses with 24/7 customer support. Check out our full review of Bluehost by our experts to find out if Bluehost is the right choice for you.
In this comprehensive Bluehost review, we'll test its promises with a rigorous and in-depth review using industry-standard benchmarking tools.
Following are the areas we’ll look into:
- Speed: How fast will your website load with Bluehost? We will test their speed and server response time to assess that.
- Performance: How does Bluehost perform under traffic spikes? We’ll test that by performing the stress test and seeing how well it performs under traffic.
- Reliability: Will your website be available 24/7/365 without any downtime?
- Customer Support: Can you count on Bluehost’s customer support when you immediately need help with your website?
- Features: Do they offer all the features that you’ll need to build your website?
- Pricing: Do they have the best pricing in the industry? Are there any Bluehost deals that can save you money?
This is our full review of Bluehost and we will take an in-depth look at the pros and cons of Bluehost. In case you don't want to read the full review, below is a quick overview of Bluehost along with our verdict.
Bluehost Review Summary
|Average load time||1.48 ms|
|Average response time||1.26 ms|
|Support||Phone / Live Chat / Knowledge base|
Bottom short: In our review of Bluehost, we found them to be reliable, fast, and affordable, with 24/7 friendly customer support.
That's why we chose to recommend Bluehost as one of the best WordPress hosting companies.
Now let's dive into our detailed Bluehost hosting review so you can decide for yourself.
First, let’s take a look at the company itself.
Bluehost started in 1996 and steadily grew to become one of the largest web hosting companies in the world. It now powers more than 2 million websites from all over the world.
Bluehost has a longstanding relationship with the WordPress community. They are an official web host recommended by WordPress.org since 2006.
They pride themselves on their 24/7 customer support, great hosting infrastructure, and support for free open source software like WordPress.
Pros and Cons of Bluehost
All the best web hosting services have their advantages and disadvantages. You can get along with some and you can't ignore some.
Here we have learned about the pros and cons of Bluehost.
First, let’s take a look at the advantages that make Bluehost the top choice.
- Pricing: Their hosting plans are within reach of most users, especially those who are just starting out.
- Reliability: They run a large number of websites with minimal downtime.
- No hidden fees: There are no hidden fees when you sign up for your account.
- Free Domain: You get a free domain name for the first year when you sign up.
- Free CDN + SSL: For each website, you get a free SSL certificate and a free Cloudflare CDN to block malware and improve security.
- Money-Back Guarantee: They offer 30 days Money-Back guarantee on all the plans.
As we mentioned earlier, there are always drawbacks to all hosting companies. Following are some of the disadvantages of choosing Bluehost as your host.
- Higher domain renewal price Their free domain renewal price is higher than average.
- Upselling Addons: They have an aggressive upsell process during signup. But you can easily uncheck SiteLock and all other addons if you don’t need them.
Bluehost Performance Tests
The most important performance metric that you should look for is speed. It not only affects user experience on your site, but it also affects your WordPress SEO rankings.
Studies show that a 1-second drop in website speed can decrease your conversion rate by 7%. A 3-second delay can cost you 50% of your traffic.
Let’s see how fast your website will load on Bluehost.
Bluehost Speed Test Results
For a faster website, you will need to choose a fast website hosting company. Keeping this in mind, we created a test site to see how fast Bluehost really is.
Our test site was created using WordPress with the default Twenty Twenty theme. We imported dummy content for theme development including images. After that, we used Pingdom to test the website speed.
Here are our test results:
As you can see, our test site loads in less than two seconds. Considering the fact that our site was not using any cache plugins or speed optimization tricks, this result is remarkable.
However, speed testing alone is not enough, as there was not a lot of traffic on this test site.
To test how Bluehost servers would respond with increased traffic, we used a test tool called K6 (formerly LoadImpact) to send virtual users (VUs) to our test site.
We used this to gradually build up to 100 visitors to see how the server would handle increasing requests from multiple connections at the same time.
Here is a screenshot of our results.
The green line is the number of virtual users active on the site and the blue line is the server load time. As you can see, the server load remained stable throughout the test, even during peak traffic.
This test indicates that if you are looking for a really fast website, Bluehost may be the right choice for you.
It is also important to note that we do not record any downtime during our testing.
Many hosting companies promise a 99.99% uptime guarantee. We have set up an uptime monitoring alert for our test account. See the screenshot below for a detailed view of Bluehost server uptime.
Bluehost Server Response Time
When you're live testing a website using a tool like Pingdom, you're basically looking at how everything loads on your site. This also includes images that take longer to load than plain text.
To get more accurate server response times, we use another tool called Bitcatcha. This allows you to test the server response time without loading any data.
As you can see, Bluehost servers in the US performed less than a fraction of a second. Elsewhere, the response was slightly longer but still less than a second.
If your target audience is in the United States, this will benefit your site. However, if more users come from other parts of the world, you can change the server location.
Bluehost Hosting Plans and Features
Bluehost offers a variety of hosting plans to suit all budgets and sizes. This includes shared hosting, VPS, dedicated servers, cloud hosting, WooCommerce hosting, managed WordPress hosting, and more.
Let’s take a look at Bluehost hosting plans and their features.
- Shared Hosting: Shared hosting is the perfect way to start a new website with low traffic volume. In a shared hosting environment, your website shares server resources with other websites.
- Cloud Hosting: A more reliable upgrade to the shared hosting plan. It allows you to utilize multiple cloud servers, allowing your website to automatically switch to a different server in case of a hardware failure or high traffic.
- WordPress hosting: Their WordPress plans are designed specifically for WordPress-Powered websites. It is optimized to run WordPress and can even protect your WordPress site against common threats.
- WooCommerce Hosting: WooCommerce is the most popular eCommerce plugin for WordPress, it allows you to easily start an online store with WordPress. WooCommerce hosting offers you all the essential features to kick start your eCommerce store.
- VPS (Virtual Private Server) Hosting: An upgrade to shared WordPress hosting, VPS hosting allows you to virtual dedicated resources in a shared environment.
- Dedicated hosting server: A dedicated hosting server for your website, means you will have all the resources of the dedicated server to yourself. The downside is that you will have to manage the server on your own.
All Bluehost hosting plans allow you to install WordPress with One Click.
All plans come with an easy-to-use hosting control panel where you can manage your hosting, create databases, and more.
Bluehost has a custom control panel that improves the ease of use for beginners. It also uses a customized version of the cPanel hosting panel for more advanced options.
Bluehost Customer Support and Service
We all need help from time to time. It is very important that you choose a hosting company that will provide help and support when you need it.
Bluehost maintains a vast library of articles, step-by-step guides, and video tutorials as part of its extensive knowledge base. This is a great help for beginners and most common problems can be solved quickly with a simple search.
However, sometimes you may need to talk to someone else for more help.
Bluehost offers a 24/7 support system where you can speak to support team representatives using live chat or phone support. This comes really handy when you need quick help from the technical support team and you know they are just a click away.
One thing that is missing is the ticket-based support system. Bluehost recently decided to phase out ticket-based support to focus on a personalized approach to live chat and phone support.
However, some users may still miss the ticket-based support system, which is especially good if their problem cannot be resolved in a live chat or phone session.
Conclusion: Is Bluehost the Right Choice for You?
After reading this review, you must be wondering if Bluehost is the right choice for your website?
Bluehost is often ranked the No. 1 web hosting provider by many websites. They offer a wide range of hosting options with lots of features that help you build your website with ease.
All their hosting plans include 24/7 expert customer support from an experienced team.
Most importantly, they offer affordable starter plans that suit any budget requirement.
If you are just starting out then you cannot go wrong by signing up for a Bluehost shared hosting plan. It's easy on your pocket and comes with all the right tools. As your website grows, you can easily upgrade your hosting plan accordingly.
FAQs About Bluehost hosting
In this in-depth Bluehost review, we have tried to cover all aspects of their hosting services. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about Bluehost that we hear from our users.
1. Can I create an online store on Bluehost using WooCommerce?
Yes, you can. In fact, Bluehost is one of the best WooCommerce hosting service providers. Your initial plan is perfect for opening an online store.
However, keep in mind that as your store starts getting more traffic, you will need to upgrade. Hopefully, by this time you'll have earned enough money to justify the upgrade costs.
2. Is Bluehost good for beginners?
Yes. Bluehost is the most user-friendly WordPress hosting company in the market. They automatically install WordPress for you when you sign up. They also have an easy-to-use control panel that allows you to manage your hosting account yourself.
There is a lot of help available with in-depth guides, video tutorials, and articles. You also have 24/7 access to expert support via live chat and telephone.
3. Can Bluehost handle high traffic?
Their shared hosting plans are suitable for novice websites and small businesses. In our stress test, your shared hosting plan was able to handle 100 virtual users without any slowdown.
These schemes can handle reasonable and sudden spikes in traffic. However, they are still quite limited in server resources. If you are expecting high traffic, you will need to upgrade your hosting plan.
4. Why Use Bluehost for WordPress?
Bluehost is one of the largest hosting companies in the world and an officially recommended WordPress hosting provider. They have been supporting the WordPress community for a long time and are very knowledgeable about WordPress.
Its platform is highly optimized for WordPress websites and designed to run WordPress at peak performance. They also have WordPress engineers on their team so you know your site is in safe hands.
5. Do I need a credit card to sign up with Bluehost?
Bluehost accepts credit cards, but you can choose to show more payment options during checkout and choose PayPal as your payment method if you prefer.
6. Is Bluehost better than GoDaddy?
Bluehost is better than GoDaddy because we believe Bluehost support is better. The My Sites dashboard and overall integration experience are more suited for beginners. Not to mention that Bluehost offers better value for small businesses.
7. How does Bluehost compare with SiteGround and HostGator?
When comparing Bluehost with SiteGround and HostGator, there are several pros and cons that you should be aware of.
Bluehost offers more value for the price as compared to SiteGround. Their plan starts at $2.75 per month and includes a free domain, while SiteGround's plan starts at $4.99 and doesn't include any free domains.
On the other hand, the Siteground platform comes with better speed and security features.
In terms of Bluehost vs HostGator, they are very similar when it comes to hosting CPU features, functionality, website migration tools, pricing, and more. Bluehost is even more comparable to shared hosting providers like InMotion or DreamHost Hosting. We think Bluehost has a slightly better user experience because they have invested heavily in their WordPress website building platform.
8. Where are Bluehost servers located?
Bluehost operates its internal data center located in Utah, USA. It is a massive 50,000 sq ft facility that serves as its main data center.
9. Which Bluehost plan should I get?
If you are just starting a new website, blog, or online store, we recommend that you start with your basic plan. This is good enough for a starter site and you can always update later.
Ready to start your own website with Bluehost? Click Here to choose your Bluehost plan.